Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio

My R53 Cooper S has the unexpected bonus of the Harman Kardon premium audio system.  While it has impressive power and sound quality (once you discover the hidden settings), it's firmly stuck in the past with just CD and analogue radio.  You can't change the head unit as the speakers are all wired to the 10-channel amp that lives in the boot, so new cables would need to be run from the head unit to each speaker, which would be an almighty faff.

I wanted to add bluetooth so I could play my cheesy '80s music from Spotify, so bought a Grom BT3 which is a small module that plugs into the CD-changer port on the rear of the standard-fit Boost head unit.  It allows you to stream music from your mobile, and make/receive calls via the supplied microphone.  You can also buy another module that plugs into the Grom to provide DAB radio, USB, or iPod wired connections, I didn't bother with any of those, I just wanted Bananarama, loud.

There are 2 versions of the Grom for BMW Mini, the nice easy to install one which plugs onto the end of the CD-changer cable in the boot (known as the CDC fitment), or one that fits behind the head unit (radio fitment).  I couldn't find any changer cable (it should be alongside the amplifier), so had to go for the latter.

Extracting the head unit means removing the console pillars.  You can find youTube vids on this but my preferred method is to remove the centre console, which avoids any risk of damaging the dash trim panels.
Once the head unit is out, disconnect the large plug (by pulling up the integrated lever), then remove the white CD-changer plug; connect the 10-way plug from the Grom here, but note there are 12 pins on the unit and the first 2 are not used.  I got this wrong first time and it didn't work.
You also need to connect the 3 bare cables (which are earth, 12v permanent and the bus connection), using the clever wire taps provided.  They're much more secure than scotchloks.

The microphone then needs installing - I stuck it to the top of the steering column, as it was easy to feed the cable through and avoided disturbing the A-pillar trim (the clips on which are easily busted).

Then it was just a case of pairing the bluetooth with my slightly crap Galaxy A3, which was dead easy.  The CD controls allow you to change tracks within a Spotify playlist, but of course you don't get any artist/song info on the display.  Once I'd reduced the bluetooth volume on my phone to 70%, sound quality was excellent and soon all my neighbours were aware of the cruel summer Banarama are experiencing.

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement