Shoei GT Air

My old Shark RSI has become rather battered and worn, so I went shopping at Helmet City today (who I can strongly recommend, the folks in there really know their stuff).  After trying on loads I ended up buying this Shoei GT Air.  It's got all the essentials for year-round riding (Pinlock, flip-down sun-visor, plenty of vents), but most of all it's proper, sumptuous quality.  It's first-class travel for your head!

I did try another Shark, but the detailing was poor - sun-visor lever didn't feel robust, poor visor locking, etc.  Also tried an X-Lite, but it didn't fit as well as the Shoei, and my chin felt a bit exposed.

This helmet only has a 3-star SHARP rating, the same as most of the Shoei and Arai range.  The manufacturers argue the tests are not representative of real-world accidents, and their own research from motorsport is much more accurate - but then they would say that, wouldn't they?

You can get a 5-star helmet for a fraction of the price, but they ain't a nice place to be.  I spend a lot of time wearing my helmet, so I've gone for fit, comfort and quality.

In other news, the MX5 will NOT be returning to the road in 2014.  Those insurance buggers want £360 - that's the same as it costs to insure, tax and MOT both bikes for a year.  It's not happening.

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio