MINI Service Trauma

I collected the Mini last weekend, and I love it so far - it's a proper little dodgem car. Interior reminds me very much of the Rover 75 - same bold shapes/materials, so it's odd that these became trendy while the highly competent 75 never caught on.
First task was a service - the previous owner said it had had no attention for at least 20,000 miles, maybe double that.  After removing the air filter I'm guessing the latter - no wonder it didn't seem very quick.  Plugs didn't look too bad though.  Oil filter was next...

...5 days later, I eventually removed said filter, after much swearing, internet research and grazed knuckles.  It's an element type that lives in a housing on the back of the engine, and they're prone to seizing if not changed regularly.  Needless to say, this one wasn't going anywhere.  I broke the end off my breaker bar :(
In the end I had to remove the whole housing from the car (not easy due to access), then repeatedly attacked it with WD40 and a mains impact gun until it gave up (or was destroyed... I didn't care which at that point).
You bastard!  I smashed the oil pressure switch too, what a donkey.  Also discovered a split inner CV joint boot, that'll need sorting for the MOT next month.
It's all back together now though and much more punchy.  It's done 140K and I believe it's still on it's original Midland gearbox, but it seems healthy enough; slighty rattly in 2nd gear but that's it.  

As soon as it stops snowing I'll prep the Jag for sale.  I'm TRENDY MINI PEOPLE now.

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio