MX5 back on the road... nearly

Last weekend I got fed up seeing the corpse of the MX5 everytime I opened the front door, and decided to sell it.  Like myself, it's old and faded and serves no purpose.  This means getting an MOT, the first since 2015.
I stopped using it because MOTORBIKES but also the clutch hydraulics were shot, and I couldn't be arsed to fix it.  Found the slave was leaking like a bastard, replacing it wasn't too much bother and quite cheap from Rock Auto in the US, despite the postage.
Disks and pads next.  Vactan'd and undersealed the rear arches, chassis members, etc.  Wheelarches and sills are very sound as I've been looking after them, but I was worried about rot hidden away.
Engine bay was filthy and full of cobwebs, cleaned it down with paraffin and it came up surprisingly well.
Damage and general paint awfulness.  Leaving this as is for the moment.
Lot of patina going on here.  It was collected for MOT last Thursday, it's first trip off the drive in 3 years.  It failed... but only on a big oil leak (feed hose to the turbo has let go, a replacement is being made up), bulb fallen out of the foglight, and emissions.  I went there yesterday to adjust the fueling on the Megasquirt to hopefully fix the latter.  No mention of rust issues, and the garage certainly knows where to look, they race these at weekends.

Undecided if I still want to sell, I enjoyed working on it and it's a fun thing.  Mrs Maimboy can't get in it though (combination of bad knees and extreme lowness), and Monkeyboy is too big at 6'5.  Hmmm.

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement