It's officially Spring

Yes it is, because the MX5 is hitting the road tomorrow.  I've had a nice day hanging out in the garage fixing a few issues (loose exhaust clamp, trying and failing to get the twin exhausts to line up, touching in the paint, cleaning the interior and getting the Megasquirt to talk to my new laptop).  I don't actually enjoy the first 30 minutes of working on the car - it's usually cold, requires me to squirm about on the ground using muscles that have seized, I always get filthy, and my hands get tired very quickly, no doubt the result of mostly pushing a mouse about for a living.  But after that I'm fine.  Had Radio 4 on, and learnt a lot about New Zealand's laws on soft cheese and growing fruit trees in Cornwall.  All useful stuff.

I've got a nice steady idle now, after adjusting the fueling.  The 2 cells in the VE table where the engine sits around at idle had a pretty big difference (38 and 44), and watching it in real time I could see it was bouncing between them.  Setting them both to 40 gave a smooth idle, though it's rather rich (13ish).  There was a similar issue at 3000 rpm which I fixed (hopefully enough to pass the MOT emissions test later this month).

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio