Sammy Miller Museum

Visited this motorbike museum today, it's hidden away in the New Forest near New Milton:
There's so many bikes in there I actually suffered motorbike overload, a serious and debilitating medical condition that required a stay in the cafe (where I came upon some excellent breakfast despite it being past 2pm, plus lemon meringue pie).
I think my favourite era is the '70s, this is a Suzuki rotary-powered bike, alongside a DKW.  Unfortunately there's nothing much later than early '80s here.
It's surprising how the basic elements of bikes haven't changed much in almost 100 years, unlike cars.  This BMW is from the early '30s:
Interesting 2-wheel drive bike; drive is taken to the front wheel via a sprocket attached to a CV joint:

This streamlined '50s Norton held several speed records, and was ridden by my friend Adrian's father, Eric Oliver:
Finally, a 1973 Yamaha race bike.  It's a measure of progress that my bog-standard SV650 has such superior power, grip and braking it would likely annihilate the Yamaha around a track, yet a ham-fisted baboon like me is allowed to ride it willy-nilly on the Queens highway:
For less than £6 it's a great afternoon's entertainment, and the cafe is open to the public.

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement