Turbo trouble, episode 7148

After a long high-speed run last weekend, the 5 developed a chronic misfire which I initially put down to fried plug leads. I had to adjust the throttle to give a F1-style idle speed but managed to drive it the remaining 70 miles home, even with food poisoning (I know it was your mushrooms, Holiday Inn).

The car has been off the road all week (missing the heatwave) and it turned out the fault was due to a big hole in the crossover intake trunking (see above). It was hidden from view and I only found it after taking all the trunking off to inspect it (thanks to Rugger and my brother for guessing it was an induction leak). Trouble is, I can't seal it again! First I tried electricians tape, then duct tape, then layers of duct tape and velcro straps, but all of them give way under full boost. I'm advertising for a replacement now, I know I should fix it properly but that means an intercooler and I don't have the time at the moment.

I've set the Konis to 1-turn from maximum soft now, it's working really well now.

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio