Finmere Car Control Day... BUSTED AGAIN

Friday was the car control day at Finmere aerodrome with Mazda on Track.  This comprised 2 circuits made up of cones, full of very tight turns (some 180 degrees).  It was massive fun, and I covered 45km virtually sideways.  The car was perfect for this, turning in precisely but with huge oversteer on demand.  If it started to get away, I was able to floor it in 2nd and spin up both wheels. 

I did a lot of pointless and smoky showboating, especially on the final lap when I ignored the cones and just did some doughnuts instead.  At £59 (with free cups of tea and BISCUITS), it was great value for money.  I swapped cars with another guy for a couple of laps, I drove his standard Mk2 (comfy, made mine look like a heap, but quite understeery) while he demolished a cone (slightly mangling the intercooler) in mine.  I only have this photo so far:

Although the tyres were now in a shocking state (though still legal), it wasn't broken.  That came the following day... I was on the way home from Swansea, after having a new hood fitted at Jack Smiths.  About 90 miles from home, a low groaning noise could be heard from the rear... 30 miles later, this suddenly became a very loud rattle, then a massive banging noise.  I knew it was the differential, but I stopped and had a look underneath, just in case it was something fouling the prop or driveshafts - nowt.  I drove on slowly... coasted down a long hill and the noise almost totally disappeared... 60 miles to go, would I get away with it?

Of course not.  The downhill was followed by an uphill, where it started an almighty banging noise, like a jackhammer was being applied to the bottom of the car.  Then there was a final, spectacular cacophony of sound as the diff innards liquified, and it was all stop.  This was in the middle of nowhere, and my mobile didn't have enough charge to make a call.  And I'd left my AA card in the Beemer.

I walked a bit, found a B&B but nobody was in.  Back to the car with a brainwave; could I charge my phone using the USB lead from the TomTom?  No... it fitted but didn't work. BUGGER.
Go for another walk... found a remote farmhouse down a long track, persuaded the owner I was not a murderer and called Mrs B, then AA.  I told them it was going to need a truck to move it, but they didn't listen.  Almost 3 hours later a van turns up, confirms my diagnosis and the requirement for a truck.  I upgrade my membership to Relay so I can get the car taken home rather than a local garage - a fairly reasonable £75.  Waited another hour for the lorry, by now it was pitch dark. 

During this time I'd made myself a little Fortress of Solitude in the bushes nearby (the car wasn't fully off the road so I couldn't sit in it).  I'd turned down the offer of a lift back to civilisation as I'd already had a Transit load of pikeys turn up (they cleared off when they spotted me in the Fortress with my insect army).


Eventually got home around 8:30, tired and feeling ill (I'd not had any food or drink since 6am).  But I REGRET NOTHING!  Now I need to get a 1.8 Torsen diff, propshaft and driveshafts, all fitted by next Sunday for the last Goodwood Breakfast of the year.

Oh yeah, I've done some kitchen too - ready for worktops, at last.

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio