LC-1 Fitment


Check out the cracks on that manifold! There's one on each side of the flange, and you can see daylight through them. You can also see where it was welded a few months back. I've now applied the Fireseal, it's a nice metallic filler substance and easy to apply to both sides of the cracks, it should be ready to reinstall tomorrow. Dare I make the relief cuts though? If I don't it's likely to crack again, if I do it may disintegrate. Making do and ordering a better replacement from ETD Racing might be the best solution.


I've also fitted the Innovate LC-1. The hardest part was finding somebody willing to weld the new 02 sensor bung onto the frontpipe, none of the big exhaust fitting places could do it. Eventually I was directed to a small place underneath a snooker hall where it was done while I waited.

If you're reading this for some ideas on how to fit an LC-1 to a MX5, this is how I've done it:
  • The 02 sensor is fitted at the end of the frontpipe, about 6" in front of the cat, at the 12 o'clock position. I had to remove the heatshield from the frontpipe to do this, it was rotten and rattled anyway.
  • The module itself is sitting within the PPF next to the gearbox, attached by the miracle of cable ties. It doesn't sound ideal, but hundreds of other owners have put it there. Cable ties are also used to route the cables away from the exhaust.
  • The 12v switched live is taken from the redundant blue socket under the bonnet (see photo above... yes, I've tidied the cabling since taking the picture... I'm not a complete cowboy!)
  • The primary earth (blue cable) attaches at the wiper motor, the other earths to the base of the fusebox on the right-hand wing. I'll move these to the engine block when I fit the Megasquirt.
  • The data cables come up under the gearlever gaiter, and are accessible by removing the blanking panel on the passenger side of the centre console.
  • On the driver'ss side blanking panel I've fitted the reset switch and LED. I fed the cables for these (signal wire and earth) via the grommet beneath the wiper motor. I like the look of them a lot... is it an auto destruct button? Horizon-bending NOS button? Trying to explain it's real purpose to normal people is too difficult so I've chosen the former. At least it should stop passengers complaining about my erratic driving.

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio