Cylinder head refurbishment, part 5

Today I lapped the valves, and refitted them into the head with new stem seals.  I'd never lapped valves before but found a very useful YouTube vid on it, only took about 30 mins in total.  I fitted the stem seals using a 11mm socket to push them on.  Reassembling the valves was initially infuriating.  I must have spent 20 minutes on the first one, it made me miss Merlin on TV (hey, I like it, it's a sort of medieval Doctor Who).  Putting blobs of grease into the collets then 'gluing' them into position with a magnetic screwdriver worked best, I got quite good at it after the first... 15.  With them all back in, I cleaned up the combustion chambers with a tiny wire brush in a Dremel.

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio