Cylinder head refurbishment, part 7

I'd been waiting on a head gasket kit from MX5Parts for more than 10 days, so I went down to Autolink instead and got one off the shelf  - cheaper too, so I might start using them more.

I've replaced the engine mounts with some competition ones, it seemed sensible while the head was off and access was easy.  I started by loosening the 14mm nut on each side securing the mount to the subframe (each needed a 24 hour soak with WD40), then the 3 bolts at the engine.  With a block of wood under the sump, I gently jacked the engine up to free the mounts, then removed the nuts altogether.  I raised the engine a little more to give enough space to unbolt and remove the mounts.  The mounts have a top and bottom, so I matched up the new ones and slotted them in.  Sounds easy, but it actually required 2 hours of rocking the engine from side to side, swearing, dropping tools, and more swearing before they were actually in .  Was it worth it?  The exhaust-side mount was split but that could have happened when I unbolted them, so I'll have to wait until it's on the road.

I put the manifolds back on the head (easy on the bench), and Mrs B helped put it back in the car.  It's bolted down now (starting with the centre pair, working out in a spiral, in 3 stages to 80NMs).  That was enough for one weekend, I came in and hit the chocolate digestives hard.

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio