Big Trouble

Had a bit of a disaster today, the clamp that holds the turbo body to the turbine casing let go. I lifted the bonnet in time to see the 2 halves come apart as the engine died. I was pretty sure that was going to result in a mangled turbine wheel, but after it cooled down I took it apart and it seems I may have gotten away with it. The blades must have brushed the casing as the edges have a shine on them, though they're not otherwise misshapen and the casing itself is unmarked. There's a good chance it's out of balance now though, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I found the air filter was hard-up against the bulkhead, I believe this combined with the engine moving about overstressed the clamp. I've made some adjustments so free up some space (eg: I chopped out what remained of the A/C pipes with a hacksaw).

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio