Turbo Rebuild

As I'd mentioned in an earlier post, the rebuild instructions provided by the kit supplier missed out some important steps. No mention is made of the piston O-ring, nor separating the turbo core from the turbine housing (and it's critical to scribe a mark between these to ensure they go back exactly as they were, else you'll lose the balance). The turbo is back together now though, and I'm pretty confident it'll be fine (not 100%, mind). It was worth doing, the piston seal was completely shot and would likely have created an oil leak into the intake = blue smoke.

I was going to write a guide, but somebody has beaten me to it. Tightening up the bolt was awkward, I used the setup below but it still took around 10 attempts.

Tips:
  • I could find no engine assembly lube, so used fresh motor oil instead.

  • You need to use proper circlip pliers to get the snap rings on/off, attempting to cut corners will make the job vastly more difficult, and possibly dangerous (the compressor spring is under high stress and you should wear eye-protection). I recommend the circlip pliers sold by Halfords (about £7.99). They look quite puny but were well up to the job; much better than the £11 Laser-brand pliers which I broke the tips off within minutes.
I mangled the snap ring trying to make-do with the busted Laser pliers, but was able to salvage a replacement from an old Nissan Bluebird turbo I had in the garage. That was off a car my brother had, I've not had the divine pleasure of a FI 'bird myself - imagine the prestige AND power of one of those honeys!
A Bluebird, yesterday. Not completely useless after all.

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio