Megasquirt, part 8

I f****** lives!!! It didn't start first time, it needed a little throttle but after 10 seconds idled on it's own. I let it warm up, and the idle came down to 900rpm, but it's not very smooth and the AFR reading is all over the place, I need to ground the LC-1 to the same point as the Megasquirt to get a reliable reading, apparently. Ignition advance looks a bit aggressive too.

I didn't put the diode on the idle valve itself, I followed the advice in this thread and installed it within the MS - neat. I tapped the connection to the fuel pump relay as detailed here. The 'squirt had spent 24 hours in the airing cupboard before I started work. You need to clean the board once you've finished soldering, this involves using isopropyl alcohol first (buy a tin of PCB cleaner from Maplin, £3.50), then rinsing it in hot water. Yes, it does sound crazy, but it's true. You must remove the CPU first though! It's a version of the Motorola 68000 incidentally, as found in the Atari ST, Amiga, and even the Out Run arcade game (which was and still is ACE). That's pedigree.
This is the harness, it looks pretty good in this photo but those soldered joints are small and weak looking, for long term reliability I think I'll splice them into the car directly at a later date.
That was enough for one evening, tomorrow I'll start the tuning.
It's been a bit of a headache, but the satisfaction of seeing the car run is enormous.

Popular posts from this blog

MINI tailgate hinge replacement

BMW E39 diesel pump replacement

Adding bluetooth to a Mini with Harman Kardon audio